There are a number of more or less complete definitions of what business analysis is. But none proved very useful to clarify how business analysts bring value.
That’s why we prefer to define business analysts by what they do.
- Business analysts investigate business problems.
- They analyse and abstract those problems.
- They link problems to benefits.
- They communicate those problems to those who can resolve them.
- They provide accurate and relevant information in the form of requirements to those who build solutions.
- They provide guidance in validating the solution will deliver the expected benefits.
- They make sure that the business is doing the right things.
- They facilitate business change – that is, they make business change easier.
In summary…. BAs help businesses get what they really need.
Source: Joseph Da Silva, Pragnalysis